In Singapore, learner drivers can choose between engaging a school driving instructor or a private driving instructor. A school driving instructor will come from any of the 3 schools namely Ubi ComfortDelgro Driving Centre, Safety Singapore Driving Centre, and Bukit Batok Driving Centre. A private driving instructor, on the other hand is not attached to any schools and is on a freelance basis. They can be engaged independently outside of schools.
Private driving instructors are limited in Singapore – their supply is limited as Singapore Traffic Police does not issue private driving coaching license since many years ago. The school driving instructors will remain in the long run.
The following are some of the main differences between school and private driving instructors.
- They are rigid in their teaching curriculum as they do not customize their teachings to their students learning speed.
- They allow you to book for earlier exam dates than private driving students.
- You are given priority for circuit bookings and practice sessions.
- You get more driving experience on the real roads.
- Your learning will be customized as your private instructor will dedicate the teaching curriculum to your learning speed accordingly.
In a nutshell, both school and private driving instructors are good in their own rights, and have their own disadvantages as well. Personally, I would recommend you go for the private route because it is much more affordable and it is also easy to pass when you get a good instructor. (just ask people for referrals or look online for driving lessons and a matching agency will get you matched up!)